Monday, August 21, 2006

Pressuring Reporters To Shut Their Mouths

Pressuring Reporters To Shut Their Mouths

New York Sun: (8/18/06) Washington Post Editor Rebukes His Reporter for Television Comments on Israel by Leora Falk

Washington Post executive editor Leonard Downie, Jr. reportedly puts a gag order on star reporter Thomas Ricks, who had told Howard Kurtz (CNN Reliable Sources, 8/6/06)that "according to some U.S. military analysts, is that Israel purposely has left pockets of Hezbollah rockets in Lebanon, because as long as they're being rocketed, they can continue to have a sort of moral equivalency in their operations in Lebanon."

Downie wrote to former New York mayor Ed Koch, who had complained about the statement, "I have made clear to Tom Ricks that he should not have made those statements." Mr. Ricks is quoted by the New York Sun: "The comments were accurate: that I said I had been told this by people. I wish I hadn't said them, and I intend from now on to keep my mouth shut about it."

One should note that the endangering of civilians for political gain is a charge leveled against Hezbollah in the U.S. media every day. Ricks' mistake was not realizing that Israelis can never be accused of acting like Arabs.
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=22&media_view_id=7769
http://www.nysun.com/article/38163

No comments: