Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Why should the Palestinians answer for the Holocaust?

Well, if an atrocity was committed in Germany, or Europe for that matter, why should the Palestinians answer for this?

MR. WALLACE: Okay. Last December, you said this: "The Europeans created a myth -- the Holocaust."

A myth?

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: Well, I don't understand, what questions are you going to put to me?

MR. WALLACE: The questions I intend to put to you are things that you have said in the past, things that have made headlines.

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: Well, I have said these in the past. Do you want us to repeat what has been said already? That would produce a very repetitious -- if I can use that word -- interview.

Put a new question to me, sir.

MR. WALLACE: Please. I am doing the questioning.

America is trying to understand President Ahmadinejad. And one of the ways that we can understand you is by repeating various things that you have said over a period of the past years. Certainly you're not ashamed of the things that you've said --

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: That is very correct. I am not ashamed, and I have -- whatever I have said is correct. There are many things that the American public must come to know. Many others, on the other hand, don't want the American public to know about these. It will be best if we talk about those as well.

MR. WALLACE: For instance?

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: Well, with regards to unemployment in the U.S. and the behavior of the American administration throughout the (war/world ?), and also the literacy rate in the U.S., and the wars that have been waged by the American government in the past 100 years, imposed it on others -- these are important issues.

MR. WALLACE: I see --

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: But with regards to the Holocaust --

MR. WALLACE: Yes --

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: -- well, my question is, if something has happened, I am sure that there are very clear evidence out there available. And this is something which has had a hand, if I can use that word, in the equations and the formulas of the past 60 years.

And on the pretext of this, a land has been occupied. Millions of people have been made refugees. Thousands of people to date have been killed, sir. Thousands of people have been put in prison. Well, at the very moment, a great war is raging because of that.

So apparently this was an important issue. If this is real, then they should let everyone research it. Everyone should talk about it. And once it is prohibited -- of course, research and talking about it is prohibited -- that brings about questions. If it is a reality, well, it will only help if we do more research on the subject.

My question was not this, to be honest with you, in the first place. What I did say was that if this is a reality, if this is real, where did it take place?

MR. WALLACE: In Germany. In Germany.

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: Who caused this? In Europe --

MR. WALLACE: In Europe.

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: (In English.) In Europe.

MR. WALLACE: If I may, so what you are suggesting -- one moment -- what you are suggesting, then -- that Israel should be over in Germany, because that's where the Holocaust took place?

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: (Through interpreter.) I'm not saying that, mind you.

Well, if an atrocity was committed in Germany, or Europe for that matter, why should the Palestinians answer for this? I'm not saying that the answer to the Holocaust led to the establishment of a government. This is something that the British and the Americans are saying. I am saying that if this happened, the Palestinians must not pay for this or be responsible for this. They had no role to play in this. Why on the pretext of the Holocaust they have occupied Palestine? This is the question that Western media -- mass media never bothered with, and to date, I have not received an answer. I think that they have to provide answers to this question. If they do just that, many of the outstanding issues will be resolved automatically. Please remember that we are saddened when a person is killed in any part of the world.

MR. WALLACE: I understand. I understand. Look, if you could -- if you could keep your answers concise, I beg you, we'll get more questions in.

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: Well, one of your questions required -- all of your questions require a book-long answer. If you want me to just finish the interview, please tell me and we can wrap up right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great post,

did this segment (not just parts) air on 60 minutes?