Philip Zelikow on "Iraq threat" and Israel: The Threat That Dares Not Speak Its Name"Why would Iraq attack America or use nuclear weapons against us?" Philip Zelikow explains, "I'll tell you what the real threat [is] and actually has been since 1990 -- it's the threat against Israel. And this is the threat that dares not speak its name because...the American government doesn't want to lean too hard on it rhetorically because it's not a popular sell." - Philip Zelikow forum at the University of Virginia Law School on Sept. 10, 2002
The Philip Zelikow quote checks out. Good research by David Peterson. Peterson wites, "So I ran a quick search of the Nexis database, under the all-News category (i.e., the most comprehensive), using the following combination of terms:
* 'Zelikow' and 'threat against Israel' or 'threat that dare not speak its name' or 'why would Iraq attack America' or 'use nuclear weapons against us' or 'American Government doesn't want to lean too hard on it' or 'because it is not a popular sell'
According to Nexis, parts of all of this incredibly damning passage from Zelikow have been quoted in only four different places within the English-language media archived by Nexis. Namely:
1. IPS-Inter Press Service, March 29, 2004, Tuesday, 1396 words, U.S.: IRAQ WAR IS TO PROTECT ISRAEL, SAYS 9/11 PANEL CHIEF, By Emad Mekay, WASHINGTON, Mar. 29
2. United Press International, March 30, 2004 Tuesday, 702 words, UPI Hears..., WASHINGTON, March 30 (UPI)
3. New Straits Times (Malaysia), April 2, 2004, Friday, Editorial; My notebook; Pg. 10, 1023 words, Can this be a safer world despite increased killings?, By Hardev Kaur
4. Business Week Online, April 15, 2004 Thursday, DAILY BRIEFING, 960 words, Blame Bush for What Came After 9/11; The real issue isn't why the U.S wasn't ready for the attack, but why the Administration used the tragedy to invade Iraq, Ciro Scotti
But that's it. A rather embarrassing---if typical---performance by the U.S. media, I'm sure you'll agree.
FYA ("For your archives"): See below, where I've deposited copies of all four them." see link: PHILIP D. ZELIKOW Posted by David Peterson at April 16, 2004 05:34 PM